January 01, 2009
"To choose Sarah [Palin] tells us a lot about Senator John McCain. It is a clear reminder that he truly is a maverick and that he will always do the right thing for the people of America."
- Gov. Linda Lingle, speaking at the Republican National Convention
"I may not have been born here, but being born some place doesn't necessarily mean that you are going to fight for that place."
- County Council candidate Lucienne de Naie
"I'm not a dummy; I'm not a clone. I'm an independent voice that hasn't taken any money from developers. No developer is going to come into my office. I'm sorry, that's not how I operate."
- County Council candidate Wayne Nishiki, in a Maui Time interview two weeks before the election
"I think it's unconscionable that he went after me for a lousy $2,000 donation from a developer...when he apparently withheld his finance report until it was too late, knowing it would probably have swung the election."
- Don Couch, to The Maui News, after it was revealed Nishiki accepted a $100,00 loan from developer Everett Dowling
"I described it to somebody as a David versus Goliath thing...we're pretty good with a slingshot."
- Akaku President Jay April, on the community station's fight with state regulators
"Surfing will have to wait its turn—we can't just let the surfers kick aside the bowlers."
- Dwight Toyama, state Atheltics Administrator, on whether school surf clubs should be sanctioned
"It's been a long time coming, but tonight, because of what we did on this date in this election at this defining moment, change has come to America."
- President-elect Barack Obama
"Economic conditions are now poor in virtually every visitor market, and as a result we expect the current sharp tourism downturn to continue well into next year."
- November report from the University of Hawaii Economic Research Organization (UHERO)
"If it's not going right, take it to the left."
- Henry "Uncle Boy" Kana'e, 1954-2008
|Entertainment and lifestyle news for Maui, Hawaii and the surrounding Islands. Maui Time Weekly is Mauis only independent and locally owned newspaper.
Mail this link to a friend|