1. Maui County’s new mayor is:
a) The same guy who has the job now.
b) That one chick whose dad used to be mayor.
c) That one guy who had the job four years ago and then lost it.
d) Augie T.
2. Most local analysts agree that the deciding factor in the mayor’s race was:
a) The controversy over the Hamakuapoko Wells and the future of water in general.
b) The relationship between land development and traffic.
c) Management style.
d) The island’s lack of an In-N-Out Burger franchise.
3. Joseph Bertram, III is:
a) A longtime South Maui bikeways activist.
b) The rich guy from Gilligan’s Island.
c) The recently elected state Representative for the 11th District.
d) All of the above.
e) A and C.
4. On Election Day The Maui News ran an editorial based in part on a list of urban myths that have been floating around the country for the last 20 years:
5. Maui County’s voter turnout in the 2006 General Election was:
a) 53.4 percent.
b) 48.3 percent
c) 37.9 percent.
d) So low the state Office of Elections didn’t even bother tabulating it.
6. The Hawai`i Tourism Authority recently announced it would do all of the following except:
a) Apologize to Hawaiian groups and leaders for
exploiting old Hawaiian culture, traditions and personalities for
b) Hire a specialist to make sure the
organization considers Hawaiian culture before making any marketing
c) Appropriate $3 million to work with the state
Department of Land and Natural Resources and various community groups
on natural resource preservation.
d) Eliminate “offensive and insensitive content” from tourist marketing.
7. During the election Republicans in Hawai`i:
a) Picked up seats in the state Legislature as well as succeeded in reelecting Linda Lingle.
b) Lost seats in the state Legislature even though they succeeded in reelecting Linda Lingle.
c) Came through with the same number of House and Senate seats as before the election.
d) Stood on various street corners statewide
while wearing bright red shirts that said in gold letters, “I love
Answers: 1, b; 2, c; 3, e; 4, a; 5, b; 6, a; 7, b